ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can general contractor receive /demand deposit before

Customer Question

Can general contractor receive /demand deposit before contract si signed?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He demand and we paid $2.500 but he did not give as estimate/contract
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's all for now. Thank you.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. One moment please.

There's nothing illegal or otherwise actionable about a contractor demanding a deposit prior to a contract being signed. In fact, a contract doesn't need to be signed in the first place, as you can have an oral agreement. Now if there's not an agreement as to the price (that is, the deposit is given before there's an agreement in the first place) then there's no contract. Again, there's nothing illegal about demanding a deposit, etc... but it could be recoverable if there was no underlying agreement in the first place.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~40 minutes) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.