Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son had a car loan with park community credit union and

Customer Question

my son had a car loan with park community credit union and paid it off in full. has the truck in the state of florida but the band that is in Kentucky will not release registration . what can I do?? they keep hanging up on us
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: truck is 8yrs old and loan was from louieville kentucky
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet. they said it can take up to 21 days and has been 24.... it is stoping him from selling his truck and purchasing another
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just called them for the 24th time and said this was unfair business practice as well as interference with property rights and they said tuff luck and hung up on me
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he has paid off the debt in full, the bank has to provide a release of lien letter within 30 days of payoff, which is actually what the laws say even though the bank policy is it can take up to 21 days. As far as it holding up sale, actually any buyer can check with the lender and verify that the debt has been paid and release is in the process and then your son simply has to obtain title and sign the title in accordance with law to the new owner and then go to DMV to change the title over at that time.
If he does not have the release letter in 30 days, then you can sue the bank for failure to release the lien in a timely manner and for any damages suffered as a result.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Very pleased with this service
Thank you for your reply.