Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Recently I had a confrontation with a person at a Eagles

Customer Question

Recently I had a confrontation with a person at a Eagles club. I was sent a certified letter that barred me from there listing that I was wrong and not the assailant . My question is is the Eagles required by law that I receive Due Process as I was not allowed to be present to defend myself?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time. But isn't a person suppose to have Due Process?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Sorry, but no. Due process is a doctrine that applies to court procedure and constitutional law. In private clubs, there is no "right" to a mandatory review of a decision unless the rules specifically state for it. With some exceptions of discrimination based on protected groups such as gender, race, etc (I assume this does not apply), the club can make whatever decision it wants without "due process."

A professor once called this the "clubhouse" rule, meaning that whoever controls the clubhouse in a tree can ask someone to leave without giving them a reason. It is a private club - it is not mandatory for it to follow due process.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 23 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!