Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I have been with the gm credit card for 30 years and pay my

Customer Question

i have been with the gm credit card for 30 years and pay my bill in full each time. i froze my credit 6 years aqo & then citi -use my card- was denied. called them- they said they had sent me a letter asking 3 ?s- i told them i never received a letter and ask then to aswser their quesion on the phone & they said they wound not. i then sent them a register letter, they replyed call this number & we'll tell you. called & said i didn't anwser there the first. i got upset because they gave the same awnser. i told to cancel me ( my wife card was still good ) we also had around $ 3000. credit on card to buy a new gm car. don't i deserve to know why my credadit is now? b
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: i just sent it.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no other than a friend in the mortgage business checked and could not get info. on me - she checked my wife credit and she had a score of 8.05
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Expert:  Legalease replied 18 days ago.

Hello there --

-

There is a possibility that when you froze your credit with this card, it was reported to the credit bureaus as being fraudulent or that there was fraudulent activity on your social security number and credit. You would not know this unless you actually talk to the three major credit reporting agencies to determine what exactly they have in their files regarding you and your credit rating. The three major credit reporting agencies are TransUnion, Equifax and Experian and these are the places where you need to go to see what they have in their files on you. These are the three agencies that companies like Credit Karma use to pull together a credit rating and report it to banks and credit card companies. You can contact them directly by their 1 800 telephone numbers or through their websites and they are actually good at working with consumers to remove any incorrect information that may be getting reported about you since you froze the card 6 years ago. I am certain that a telephone call to receive a copy of the credit reports they have on you and a letter to correct the information with each of them will work this out for you.

-

I am providing you with a link to each of these companies websites so you can contact them directly and work on fixing this with them:

TRANSUNION:

https://www.transunion.com/customer-support/contact-us

EQUIFAX:

https://www.equifax.com/personal/education/credit/report

EXPERIAN:

http://www.experian.com/consumer-products/free-credit-report.html

Us Federal law requires that each of these credit reporting agencies give you a credit report FREE once per year and then again within 60 days if you are denied credit using information that they provide. Your starting point is to request the credit reports and review them and see if any of them has a fraudulent "FLAG" on your credit because you froze that credit card -- there may have been a mistake made and you do not even know it. I hope that all of this helps. You will have to do some legwork but you should be able to get it fixed once you find out what these major credit reporting agencies have been reporting on your credit reports.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so I will receive credit for my time assisting you today. I receive no credit unless you press a positive rating above. THANK YOU

-

MARY