Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My spouse owns 3 business(incorporate and real estate LLC),

Customer Question

my spouse owns 3 business(incorporate and real estate LLC), am I eligible for any part of the business in case of divorce?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What state do you live in? Were these businesses created before or after you got married?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

after got married, MA

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

after, MA

Thank you.

In that case, the businesses are marital property and you're entitled to half the value at the time of divorce. That's true whether you've worked for the companies or not.

The judge isn't likely to award you 50% of each business, because forcing divorced spouses to work together usually isn't going to be productive. However, the judge has a lot of discretion. If you have the knowledge and experience to run a business, you could be made owner of one of them and given a payment to equal roughly half the total value. Or your husband could be ordered to buy out your interest in each one.

If he doesn't have cash to do that, the judge can award you a higher percentage of other marital assets, like your home or retirement accounts.

Do you have any other questions about this?