Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I missed 3 days in a sex offender treatment program and we

Customer Question

I missed 3 days in a sex offender treatment program and we are only allowed to missed so I got terminated would my probation officer violate me on that or could he
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: As far as I know no. My counselor did send a email or something to my po saying I was terminated cause of absences
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well what do you think my p.o. agent will do I mean I just missed a extra day would that be grounds for him to violate me
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1) How long have you been on probation/parole?

2) Have you had any other issues with probation/parole, or not and have been fairly good on it?

3) Do your PO and you get along, or not?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was on probation before but violated and went to prison for using internet and I've been on probation this time for over a year no problems and it seems like we get along good
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Okay. Technically the PO has a lot of sway here. They decide whether or not to violate you, and technically you did violate one of the requirements by being terminated. If the reason for missing it is reasonable (medical, etc), then perhaps the PO will be willing to give you a second chance. However, I hate to say it, but the PO does have a reason to violate you for this. It is their choice. You may wish to plead your case with him/her and ask for a second chance.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I missed cause I was having car issues. And this time on probation is after being in prison and getting out.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Someone in your situation wants to DOCUMENT the vehicle problems by taking it to a mechanic for example, and/or photos, etc. This way it is not simply an "excuse" without proof. This may help to sway the PO's mind for a second chance.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
all in all I'm probably going back to prison or jail
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
I did not say that. Car trouble is a legitimate excuse, but the PO is going to say "Why not take the bus?"
It really is up to them. Some POs will choose to violate, and some POs may give the person another chance.
Even if the PO violates, the Judge then decides whether this is indeed a violation.
Thanks again for not shooting the messenger, in advance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if I go in front of a judge what are my options what do you think the judge would say or do
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
The Judge has the final decision and it will essentially be the same thing. Considering all past history, the Judge will decide whether or not this warrants:
-taking away probation/parole
-extending the probation/parole
-jail for a time and then back on probation/parole
-a combination of the above.
-or simply give a second chance.
Your excuse is "car trouble." However, the Court will ask (like the PO), "Why not take the bus?"
So there has to be a reasonable explanation. The more reasonable, the more likely the Judge will give a second chance.
If no excuse, then one can simply fall on the mercy of the court, asking for a second chance and perhaps the Court will agree.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I couldn't use the bus cause where I live vs where I go to counseling is about 50-60 miles away
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Okay - that is an excuse. It is up to the PO and then ultimately the Judge to decide whether it is reasonable.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have you worked with probation violations before
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
but experts cannot take customers as clients - I am sorry! You will need to find a local attorney.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!