LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have been married for 17 years and have two teen sons and

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have been married for 17 years and have two teen sons and my wife has asked for a legal separation. She has asked me to move out of our home and says she will keep the children. She says that she will maintain the house and does not need anything from me except to help out when she needs it. She says she wants a legal separation. We live in Texas. She also wants me to sign a document about not seeing other people when we have the children. What are my rights regarding the house and any financial expectations. She makes the bulk of the salary.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No it has not
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 19 days ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Texas does not have a Legal Separation as some states do.

Either of you on separation may apply for child support or spousal support though. If your wife keeps the children she will be entitled to about 25% of your monthly income for child support, but you will be eligible for spousal support of about 20% to 25% of her monthly income.

You wrote: She also wants me to sign a document about not seeing other people when we have the children. I would not agree to do that. The court will not force anything like that ion you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 19 days ago.

Good evening,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, you can request a call by clicking on the "Call Me" button on your page.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug