Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Back in 2011 I broke a lease at an apartment I was living

Customer Question

Good evening,back in 2011 I broke a lease at an apartment I was living in, 1. Because my husband was deployed and 2. my grandmother got sick with cancer. I was under the impression I could use the military clause, but ended up not being able to use it. They took me to court without me knowing about it, and was charged with an eviction. I have been paying them but its an astounding ridiculous amount and I cannot rent a place anywhere. I am living with my parents and my two children and dont know what to do. Its not on my credit report as I disputed it, but it is im guessing on my background check. Is there anyway to get this removed or is it something Im just going to have to wait out. I need to get my family a place to live but literally cannot find anywhere because of this.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 25 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, there is no way to remove the eviction from your renter's report as it is up to the landlord to remove and your only way to do it is suing to remove the eviction for being a false negative report. If the report is not false, then I am afraid that legally there is no way to remove it other than settling with the landlord and asking them to remove it as part of the settlement.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.