LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Mother died 25 yrs ago. I always lived in home. My brothers

Customer Question

mother died 25 yrs ago. I always lived in home. My brothers and sister don't want ant part of home. How can I get home in my name. I PAID IT OFF WITH HELP FROM THEM?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: IL
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: WITH WHOM?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i WANTED TO PUT NEW ROOF ON HOME BUT NEED HOME IN MY NAME AND INSURANCE.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 20 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you saying that none of you ever went to probate court to have the home removed from your mother's name and placed into your name and that of your siblings?

Doug

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I am saying that and do you call today?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 20 days ago.

Alright.

Well, you MUST file a probate action for your mother's estate. Your siblings can sign documents waiving their right to make a claim against the estate and the court will then award the home to you as your sole property. But a probate court judge must make the order granting you the home. That is the ONLY way for you to get the property into your name.

You are going to want to hire a probate attorney to assist you in this matter as it is a complex legal procedure to file for probate of an estate that has real property in it, as your mother's does. But you will get the house in your name that way too.

You are facing a complex legal situation and you really should consider asking for a phone call so that I can discuss this at length with you. I do not put arbitrary time limits on my calls either.

You can request a call by clickingon the "Call Me" button on your page.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I will pay for probate attorney. What about Probate fees to get house in my name from court?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I pay attorney fees, what about probate court fees?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 20 days ago.

Good afternoon,

Probate court fees are about $400 on average.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 20 days ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug