Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can defense lawyer contact plaintif's lawyer privatly? NY,

Customer Question

Can defense lawyer contact plaintif's lawyer privatly?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, it was almost a year ago, but case is till open. Plaintiff's layer officials left this case, and plaintiff is intended to go pro se. So, it looks, that my layers corresponding with the lawyer that officially left this case.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it permitted in NY?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 26 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is yes. Attorneys talk very often outside of work, and it is not uncommon for an attorney who no longer represents a party to continue a professional relationship with the other attorney. Also attorneys can remain friends after a suit is over.

However, that Plaintiff's attorney still has the duty to their former client not to state anything that would HURT their former client in the case. See HERE (Rule 1.9). So corresponding with the attorney is okay. But their conversations are limited in that the attorney cannot hurt a former client by disclosing something about the case.

The vast majority of attorneys are very conscious of these rules and are ethical, despite what television pundits claim. So likely, the conversation is no cause for concern.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 24 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!