Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Can you dispute a judgement that is over 10 years and they

Customer Question

can you dispute a judgement that is over 10 years and they have the wrong ss number can I ask for original documents and they added 4,690 to the original debt
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MD
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I just received a garnishment from when I was in my 20s and now in my 50
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't be sure that I owe this they never sent this to me
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 19 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Unfortunately, you only have a limited time to dispute a judgment against you and appeal it, normally 30 days. So 10 years later would be very far outside the time limit to appeal or contest the judgment.

.

A judgment accrues interest at 10% annually and it is valid in Maryland for twelve years. If a judgment has not been collected within twelve years, the creditor needs to renew it or else it will expire, along with the creditor’s claim. District Court judgments can be renewed by completing Form DC/CV 23 before twelve years has expired from the date when the judgment was entered. If a creditor files for a garnishment to collect on an expired judgment, the debtor should file an objection with the court.

.

So about your only way out of this would be to check with the court clerk and see if the judgment actually expired before they renewed it as it would be uncollectible then.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
this debt has to be over 18 years
Expert:  Barrister replied 19 days ago.

Yes, but if they "renewed the judgment" as I mentioned above, it is good for another 12 years...

.

.

thanks