Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Yesterday I was parked by a park when a police officer

Customer Question

yesterday I was parked by a park when a police officer passes by and pulls up next to me he then asked that if I had barely gotten their and I said yes like 15 minutes and he then said that why did I run from them and evade them. I told him that I don't know what he was talking about because I was just sitting in my car talking to my girlfriend who was in the passenger seat he asked me again and I told him that he had the wrong person he later said that they saw me pass by a street called segerstrom and flower when I hadn't passed by their I got their from Warner and Bristol then he accused me of being the guy they were looking for so he took me out of my car which was not on and parked and patted me down and cuffed me and sat me down on the curve then he wanted me to admit that it was me but I denied it because I'm not going to say it was me when it wasn't. So then he took my girlfriend out the car and she sat down next to me. He then asked if he could search my car who the windows were down and I said no he couldn't and then he said oh I can't and then he said theirs a razor on the floor and he opened the door and started looking thru my car that's when he found a pipe and a container with weed and a open can of beer that was still full im 21 but my girlfriend is 20 I told him that those were mine and then she kept searching my car. He gave me two tickets one for open container which was in the passenger seat and one for possession of marijuana in vehicle. Now my question is was that considered illegal search or could they do that ?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: well i got two tickets
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 24 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.