Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I have got a money judgement of 21,000.00 in California iam

Customer Question

I have got a money judgement of 21,000.00 in California iam 78 years old what can I do
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 25 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 25 days ago.

One option here to discharge the debt is to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy.This would allow you to discharge the debt and any others you have.You can file this yourself pro se.It is the means really to get this debt discharged and star over here.It makes sense to allow you to get this off your back here.

Expert:  Ray replied 25 days ago.

Free forms

http://www.cacb.uscourts.gov/sites/cacb/files/documents/forms/Chapter7_Complete.pdf

It takes roughly a year from start to finish here.

I think this is your best means to get rid of the judgment and start over fresh.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 25 days ago.

Here in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy in California you wipe out your debts and get a “Fresh Start”. Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a liquidation where the trustee collects all of your assets and sells any assets which are not exempt. (see California Exemptions) The trustee sells the assets and pays you, the debtor, any amount exempted. The net proceeds of the liquidation are then distributed to your creditors with a commission taken by the trustee overseeing the distribution.

http://www.californiabankruptcy.info/chapter7.html

Expert:  Ray replied 25 days ago.

Thanks again if you can positive rate 5 stars it is always much appreciated.