Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am from florida and want to gift my brother and nephew

Customer Question

I am from florida and want to gift my brother and nephew each a rifle for christmas. I cant find any info about in family transfer laws in virginia... I don't know if I can bring them up to virginia and do the process or not.can u help?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They are registered to me in FL
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Will you be physically transporting the rifles from FL to VA to give them to them personally?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like to, since I believe I must be present for transfer.

Ok, there is no law in VA that would prevent you from simply gifting the firearms to your family members personally. The guns would not have to be "re-registered" under VA law as long as they are lawfully owned. Private gun sales or gifting is entirely legal in VA, regardless of what state the gun was originally purchased in.

.

You can do so through a local FFL dealer if you like, but it is not required or necessary in any way..

.

Just make sure when you are transporting from FL to VA, that the firearms are unloaded and secured, like in your trunk.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank You

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

And as a gun owner myself, I can't think of a nicer gift...

.

.

Have a great evening!