How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1098
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning to build a medical office 3 floors and the

Customer Question

I am planning to build a medical office 3 floors and the cellar in NYC.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I am the owner of the land. would like to hire a general contractor. who will do the job, starting from excavation, metal structural work, and continue work to the end. What kind of insurances, I need from him, and what insurances I need for myself to protect myself? Where I can get this insurances in NYC, and how much if will cost me? Thanks,
JA: Is there anything else the structural engineer should be aware of? I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: I have. no more questions, but my questions are very important. Please answer, if you can. Thanks,
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. The contractor who will build the medical office will need general liability insurance, workers compensation insurance. This 2 are required by the NYC Department of Buildings for general contractors.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.
You can obtain a policy called Builders Risk Insurance for yourself, for construction from a regular insurance broker.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.
The Contractor should give you a copy of their Commercial General Liability Insurance (broad form coverage) insuring against claims for bodily injury, property damage, and personal injury.
By its terms the policy should include the following coverage, Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Fire Legal Liability (not less than the replacement value. They should have a 3million/10 million limit depending on the cost of the project. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You still did not get an answer to my question! I asked you two times, as continuation about insurances.
My question was: If I hire the sub contractor to do the job, what kind of insurance I should have?
There is no General Contractor. Thanks,