KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I am planning to build a medical office 3 floors and the

Customer Question

I am planning to build a medical office 3 floors and the cellar in NYC.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I am the owner of the land. would like to hire a general contractor. who will do the job, starting from excavation, metal structural work, and continue work to the end. What kind of insurances, I need from him, and what insurances I need for myself to protect myself? Where I can get this insurances in NYC, and how much if will cost me? Thanks,
JA: Is there anything else the structural engineer should be aware of? I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: I have. no more questions, but my questions are very important. Please answer, if you can. Thanks,
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 24 days ago.
Good morning. The contractor who will build the medical office will need general liability insurance, workers compensation insurance. This 2 are required by the NYC Department of Buildings for general contractors.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 24 days ago.
You can obtain a policy called Builders Risk Insurance for yourself, for construction from a regular insurance broker.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 24 days ago.
The Contractor should give you a copy of their Commercial General Liability Insurance (broad form coverage) insuring against claims for bodily injury, property damage, and personal injury.
By its terms the policy should include the following coverage, Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Fire Legal Liability (not less than the replacement value. They should have a 3million/10 million limit depending on the cost of the project. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
You still did not get an answer to my question! I asked you two times, as continuation about insurances.
My question was: If I hire the sub contractor to do the job, what kind of insurance I should have?
There is no General Contractor. Thanks,