Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

My adult sister has been living with my mother for

Customer Question

my adult sister has been living with my mother for approximately 1-2 months. there is no lease or anything. my mother has taken issue with my sister and her boyfriends behavior and wants to kick them out. im unsure if tenancy at will is in effect or not.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no. there's been no eviction notice, nor other paperwork filed with the courts. the issue blew up today.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of at the moment
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Expert:  Legalease replied 22 days ago.

Hello there --

-

If they are simply boarding there and not really paying any rent then your mother can telephone the police to have them removed and if she is having problems with the boyfriend's behavior your Mom can also file a restraining order against him so that he may not come back around again to bother her any longer. My suggestion is that you tell your Mom to do this as soon as possible because once they get to 6 months of living there, they can claim that they are formal boarders/renters (even if they do not pay rent) and the police will not kick them out at that point -- forcing your mother to give them a written notice of eviction and to go to the local eviction court if they do not move from the house within the time set forth in the notice.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so I will be given credit for my time assisting you today. I am not given any credit at all for answering your question today unless you press a positive rating above. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY