Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Central issue is the fact that I supposedly received

Customer Question

Central issue is the fact that I supposedly received overpayment of unemployment benefits from the Kansas Department of Labor perhaps 6 years ago, and am now faced with repayments that don't seem to make sense. Benefits received ~ $7,000. Purported repayment due ~ $16,000.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure I understand your question. (perhaps a canned response on your part?)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.

You can contact unemployment and dispute their figures. In general, however, they may be entitled to penalties and interest, which can be considerable. You can read more about that here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm aware of the verbiage: “an individual who has knowingly made a false statement or representation or who has knowingly failed to disclose a material fact to obtain or increase [UI] benefits ...”. That designation doesn't apply in my instance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll get back with you on this when I have more time to elaborate and probably bore you silly.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
THANKS.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.

That wouldn't negate what I've said. That is, even if there's no fraud involved, there may be late fees and interest imposed.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.