Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Story short, when my boyfriend arrived to Ireland (he is an

Customer Question

Hello!
Long story short, when my boyfriend arrived to Ireland (he is an Irish citizen) from Canada, he was arrested due to an issue he had with his father. They are not trying to charge another thing on top of it--theft of three old laptops in Montreal. This was never an issue when we were in Montreal, as we purchased them from craigslist. My theory is they are friends with his father and are trying to do him a favor by finding as many legal things to charge him with. He told them I'm the one that purchased the laptops, and they do not believe it. When I spoke to the guard on the phone he asked me if I was going to Ireland, with a bit of a threatening ton to it. I told him legally he can't, because that's what I recall learning in my international law class. I'm a US citizen and if I were to fly to Ireland can they legally arrest me for something they believe was committed in Montreal? Especially when I've never even been to Ireland? It's a speculation, although I have evidence that the laptops were purchased on craigslist, they won't seem to believe any of it. Can they legally charge my boyfriend as well? I believe according to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, you can't....I don't want to fly to Ireland and this occurs, especially because I've never committed a crime in my life! Let alone be arrested.... However, I'm not sure with what type of people I'm dealing with. I'm a bit familiar with international law from my political science class and I recall my professor using an example of a political figure who had committed a ton of crimes but has never been prosecuted and can't be unless he were to step foot in that soverign state.
Thanks for your help!Best,Anisa
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The only way they can arrest you for anything is if there has been an arrest warrant issued for you by the original jurisdiction. Ireland cannot just arrest you unless either you committed an offense in Ireland or unless some country/state has issued an arrest warrant for you. So, just because of political influence, that is not reason to just arrest you or him, there had to be an actual arrest warrant and then in order to hold him the country/state that issued the warrant has to agree to pay to come and get him and bring him back to trial. So unless there is a warrant out for you in some jurisdiction you would not be arrested. If there is a warrant for your arrest, you need to get a local attorney in the jurisdiction where the warrant was issued to deal with the courts in that jurisdiction to get the warrant either rescinded OR you have to appear in court and fight the case in court.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.