Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

In regards to your response suggesting California

Customer Question

In regards ***** ***** response suggesting California Confidential Marriage License, what does it mean that for the license to be valid, the marriage ceremony must take place in LA county? Our county of residence is San Diego.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 29 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 29 days ago.

No all counties in California have this option.Law is same everywhere.I just wanted you to see the requirements.They are standardized, same in San Diego here.

Expert:  Ray replied 29 days ago.

Confidential license:

o

Is a confidential record. Once chosen, it cannot be changed to non-confidential license at a later

date.

o

Both parties must be at least 18 years of age and living together already as a couple.

o

The ceremony may take place anywhere in the state of California.

o

Certified copies are only available to the couple or by court order signed by a judge.

o

Mail requests for certified copies must a have a notarized signature from either party to the

marriage.

https://arcc.sdcounty.ca.gov/documents/marriage_faqs.pdf

Expert:  Ray replied 29 days ago.

Appointments for licenses and ceremonies are required. With the exception of announced holidays

and seasonal events (see our homepage for any announcements). Please call(###) ###-####to make

an appointment.

You will be given an “appointment number” when you first call in. Keep this number handy

in case you

have to call us and re-schedule or have any questions.

You will be seen in the order of your appointment and sign-in time. It is suggested that you sign in

approximately 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time and have the marriage license

application completed.

If you are late, you will be seen when there is an available opening in the schedule.

Call ahead here to make appointment to get your license in San Diego.

Expert:  Ray replied 29 days ago.

This person does these if you need officiant in San Diego

http://www.justmarriedsandiego.com/

Great ratings

https://www.yelp.com/biz/just-married-san-diego-san-diego-4

Thanks again this can be completely private and confidential no witnesses.

Expert:  Ray replied 29 days ago.

Just the officiant Wendy and her notary and you guys thats it.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
hmmm...the confusion is that in the earlier reply I saw "Limitations
The only limitation of a confidential marriage license is that, the license is valid only if your marriage ceremony takes place in Los Angeles County.'AND the statement that "You are not required to get married in the county where you purchase the confidential marriage license; however, you must be married in California. You must file the license in the county where it was purchased."What is the context for the first statement, as pasted in above?
Thank you!
Expert:  Ray replied 29 days ago.

You can get married confidentially statewide.The requirements the first time were from Los Angeles, the second ones immediately above which are the same are from San Diego.You can have a confidential marriage in San Diego same as Los Angeles.It is very popular here in California for the privacy and discretion it provides.It would not be a problem here in San Diego.You can get information and prices to do a ceremony from the reference I gave you above too.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
It's coming clear...is there an advantage to driving to LA in that only in LA can we get our certified copies of marriage license immediately?
Thus we could do insurance, for example, immediately, without a waiting period for these certified copies.
Expert:  Ray replied 29 days ago.

That would be an advantage here to marrying in LA county here, thats for sure.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your providing clarity. And also, thanks for the recommendations for businesses in San Diego.
Expert:  Ray replied 29 days ago.

You are so welcome , have a great weekend.