How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 24914
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A (almost 70) year old Massachusetts woman cosigned a

Customer Question

A 69 (almost 70) year old Massachusetts woman cosigned a mortgage under threat that if she did not her grandchildren would be homeless. Has she been the victim of a crime? If she choses to report it, what would be the penalty?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this? Who made this threat to her? Who was involved?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
her son in law, there was a witness
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. There are both civil and criminal issues here. From a civil side, if she was forced into this and under duress and did not voluntarily do this, she needs to contact the bank and advise them of the same. She will need to get out of this and remove her name from the mortgage, so she is not liable in the event of default, for payment. As far as criminally, this can be reported to the police and she will need to give a statement and they will decide if a crime against the elderly occurred. For something like this, the court may look to impose probation, instead of jail, since it was a non-violent crime, depending on the record of the defendant.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!