Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am a full time student at Texas A & M. My grandparents are

Customer Question

I am a full time student at Texas A & M. My grandparents are paying for everything as I am estranged from my parents. Does my father have to provide health insurance for me?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They are not physically abusive but verbally until I could not stand it any longer. I am in my sphomore year of college. They paid for the first year but said that they would not further my education. My grandparents stepped in. My parents live in Texas.
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does my father have to provide health insurance for me?

.

Although the Affordable Care Act allows a parent to keep a child on their insurance until age 26, there is no requirement to do so. The age of majority in TX is 18 years of age, after which someone is considered a legal adult. So after the age of 18, a parent has no legal duty to support a child, absent a court order, like in a divorce and custody agreement where a parent is ordered to continue support past 18.

.

So to answer your question directly, if you are over 18 and there is no court order in place, then no, your parents have no legal duty to provide any type of support, including insurance coverage.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your quick response. I will let my grandparents know. I am sure that they will continue to help me.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time, even if the news is kind of lousy..

.

.

Have a great evening!