Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Lp says they got me on camera open a phone che, Charger

Customer Question

Lp says they got me on camera open a phone che
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Charger using in and putting it im mu apron but when they aprroahed me to ch cheak my apron and pockets it was not on me can they fire me for the camera
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Calif
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not filed not that im aware of
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Lp approahed me and said they have me on camera opening up there a charger using it and putting it in my apporn but when they approahed me in my work area to check my apron and pockets it was not on me
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Could i be fired??
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 21 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 21 days ago.

What does LP stand for? Loss Prevention?

If so, who is your actual employer (not the specific name but what do they do)?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Retail distribution
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
loss prevention
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Just want to know if i could be fired if they came to my work area made me empty my apron and pockets but i didnt have it on me
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 21 days ago.

I was just wanting to make sure it wasn't any type of governmental agency because the law is different as to them.

Unfortunately, California (like most other states) is an employment at will state which means an employer can terminate you at any time and for any reason other than one that is illegal like race, age, gender, etc.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Okay so even though it wasnt on me st time of search
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 21 days ago.

Yes, unfortunately in an employment at will state an employer doesn't have to even be correct in the reason that they give for terminating you.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 21 days ago.

Morally it would be wrong but it is legal for them to do that and they couldn't be sued for wrongful termination.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for your time..i guess ill see what tomarrow brings when i go back to work
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 21 days ago.

You're very welcome and I do wish you the best on this.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. While I wish I could tive good news, unfortunately it doesn't always work out that the correct answer is one that is in your favor as I'm sure you understand. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Will i be able to see the camera footage
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
If they call me to the office and i ask
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 21 days ago.

You can ask but they don't actually have to show it to you until a lawsuit is filed.