Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I received a traffic ticket today in Temecula, Ca. The cop

Customer Question

Hello. I received a traffic ticket today in Temecula, Ca. The cop that sited me was an Escondido Ca cop. I live in riverside county and he works for San Diego county. Can he legally give me a ticket outside his jurisdiction?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No just gave me a ticket today.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is a cell phone violation
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 25 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you. So is the cop able to give me this ticket out of jurisdiction or not?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 25 days ago.

Yes. This is actually one of the most common questions we are asked.

Since the police officers are licensed by the state then they are allowed to issue tickets, citations, or make arrests anywhere in the state, not just where they are employed. That's why the various task forces don't require that the police officers get hired by the department through which the task force works.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 25 days ago.

Also, I may get a call and need to leave suddenly so please don't be upset or think I am ignoring you.

I am about to be traveling again for a while and if I am not online when you respond I will pick up and continue later this evening.