Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I have a situation that I on which I would like some

Customer Question

Good afternoon. I have a situation that I on which I would like some clarification regarding tenants rights.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: AZ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really. It's not a huge issue, just confusing.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 24 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What is your question about tenant's rights?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
My wife and I are currently renting a house but purchasing a home. Our move date has changed a few times. Our property manager, with whom we have an informal month-to-month rental agreement, set a date for closing our electricity account. The electric company now wants to charge us a deposit to turn services back on until we move. The account was only in my and my wife's name, but the electric company says they aren't required to notify us that the account was being closed and that our property manager was able to have it closed without our knowledge. How should we proceed? We like our property manager and hope to resolve this amicably, but I am a little confused as to where my wife and I stand, legally speaking. Thanks.

Thank you.

It's actually illegal for your landlord to turn off your electricity, intentionally or negligently. Ariz. Rev. Stat., Section 33-1364. You can either turn it back on and sue the landlord for reimbursement of the fee, or you can insist that they turn it back on - and pay the fee - to avoid a lawsuit. Under that statute, if you have to sue them for shutting off your utilities, they can be required to pay your attorney's fees. Legal fees for something like this could easily run a few thousand dollars.

On top of that, if you've suffered any damages because your electricity was turned off, they have to reimburse you for that, too. And if you sue, they'll have to reimburse your filing fees. Those are all things they won't to have to pay for, so hopefully you can convince them to just pay the fee.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 23 days ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?