KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I am a member of The American Legion in MA which has hosted

Customer Question

I am a member of The American Legion in MA which has hosted several raffles over the years to raise money for the community and American Veterans. Many of the items are baskets with alcohol in them that are not opened on the premises. This year we are told by the Financial Officer that we cannot bring liquor into the building whether it's wrapped in a basket for free standing. He has stated it's the law in Massachusetts. I've never heard of this and I've been fund raising for over 25 years for different charities. Of course if we buy the alcohol from the Post then there wouldn't be a problem. Thank you
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No! I've checked into the Post's By-Laws and State By-Laws is nothing is documented regarding this.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you Just need to know if this is actually and Law and we've been doing illegal activity for years.....
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. IS the Post a non profit corp.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is a a non profit corp
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's The American Legion
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

Ok. I will work on your answer.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unfortunately your Financial Officer is correct. In Massachusetts as an American Legion Hall, as a non-profit, would need a special "one day license" even just to to give out gift baskets with alcohol. The law does not distinguish between giving out and selling. The local licensing authority, from the Town, would need to grant the alcoholic beverages license to you for the fundraising event. Even if the by-laws don’t mention the license, all Congressional Chartered veterans Organizations must comply with local and state law regarding codes and laws. Even if you buy the bottles form the Legion itself you would still need the license to give out the liquor on premises.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.