Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I am in New Jersey. My understanding is that doctor shopping

Customer Question

I am in New Jersey. My understanding is that doctor shopping laws only apply to medications that are controlled and dangerous substances (CDS) under schedules I, II, II, IV, V. I can ask for a prescription for a non CDS drug without concern about doctor shopping. I would just like my understanding verified. Thank you.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Yes, you are correct. The NJ doctor shopping law applies to controlled dangerous substances or controlled substance analogs. Other types of prescriptions do not come under that statute. Here's the latest version of the doctor shopping law of your state.

The only way you could break the law would be if you forged a prescription, because forgery is a separate crime. But there's nothing illegal about asking for a prescription for a non CDS drug.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.