How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29068
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in the process of ceasing harrassment, a

Customer Question

I have been in the process of ceasing harrassment, a Criminal Report with a death threat made 1 year and 11 months ago, i went to court, said clerks hearing was not set, then said hearing was set, by D. A. Death Threat. D. A. Dispatcher said to upgrade, as stolen, did. I am at an acclaimed point in my life, Sales, business person, having fundraiser, writing a book on my love story, movie of my experiences of ceasing this, I have FBI. Boston Police. I have name, of a betrayer, who tries to interfere with my a known actor.was my friend, I have details of her personality of lied in court twice not knowing me after 4 years, she made the death threat. I want to have her in court to cease this what can I do?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Massachusetts January 6th. 2015, on ongoing to this night.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I filed back in about April 2015, said clerks hearing was set, D. A. said no hearing magistrate. Told to upgrade report. I did. it was stole, I 911. had different number. Boston Police said report in database. now.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My funds are important for my fundraiser. I want to cease this in court, for lies, betrayal jealously , death threat. stalking i. attempting to steal the man i love.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

Massachusetts does not recognize a cause of action for alienation of affection, so I'm afraid you cannot sue someone for trying to interfere in your relationship. But there are other causes of action here. Stalking falls within the purview of intentional infliction of emotional distress, as does most other harassment. That's an intentional tort, which means you're allowed to seek punitive damages on top of any other expenses. A death threat uttered to your face would be an assault, which is both a civil tort and a crime. But it also can be considered intentional infliction of emotional distress, and that will increase your punitive damages.

Lying about your reputation is defamation of character, which is a separate intentional tort, and also actionable. You're allowed to seek both compensatory damage for any money lost due to the lies and punitive damages.

If your losses are less than $25,000, you can bring your case in the District Court. For more than $25,000, you would be in Civil Court. You are allowed, but not required, to hire a lawyer to help you. Most lawyers who accept these types of cases work on contingency, which means you only pay after you receive a judgment. If you'd prefer to represent yourself, you can visit the law library in your area to look at books of forms that will help you draft the Complaint. Massachusetts has a great law library system, and the librarians are very helpful at finding what you need.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?