Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My husband and I have recently separated (29 October). I am

Customer Question

My husband and I have recently separated (29 October). I am considering my options. My initial reaction was to end the marriage but the financial implications are a great consideration. We run our own business of which I am a Director. He has asked me to resign as Director and to be paid a wage by the company. I am not agreeable to resigning as a Director but can I negotiate with him to be paid a wage until such time as we want to proceed with a formal divorce?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have been to see a lawyer but have not engaged her yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thanks
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 25 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 25 days ago.

You can negotiate this it is all on the table.I think it is a good idea because it gives you time to separate your life.It allows you to look for another job and to be selective about it.You also may also look for housing , etc.Giving you income here while you kind of separate out you life is a very good way to deal with it.As you well know here your life is twice as complicated because your business and marriage are all going to need to be divided.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.