How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29321
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Two teenagers tried to pull my daughter out of her car they

Customer Question

two teenagers tried to pull my daughter out of her car they blocked her in and wouldn't let her leave trying to get her out of the car to beat her up, what legal action can i take
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: illinois, Lake county
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet tried to talked to the school it happened on school property and because my daughter was too scared to take action she said to drop it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: there is video footage on this and the deans saw the tape.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If your daughter is a minor, you can file a battery and false imprisonment case against the other girls as "next friend" on your daughter's behalf, over her objection. It is possible to win the case without her testimony when you have a tape recording of the incident. Damages can be proven by producing copies of your daughter's medical bills. But you should know that the judge can also order her to testify if she's there in court with you.

Illinois law also allows the parents of a minor child to be sued for wilful acts committed by the child. 740 ILCS 115/3. You could bring a lawsuit against the parents of each of the teenage girls, and under that statute, they could also be required to reimburse you for up $15,000 in attorney's fees. Another option, if you wanted to avoid dragging your daughter to court, is to have a local attorney attempt to settle with the parents, taking their legal fees from the settlement.

If you haven't already done so, you can also file a police report. They can view the tape and choose to press charges over your daughter's objection.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?