Good afternoon Cheryl,
If your mother is eligible for a VA survivor's pension, then she is also eligible for A Widow's Aid and Attendance benefit which can pay he as much as $1,149 per month in benefits to pay for in-home care to assist her with daily living activities. She can use this money to pay you for her care, which in turn would defray your travel expenses.
Any War-Time Veteran with 90 days of active duty, and at least 1 day beginning or ending during a period of War, is eligible to apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension.
Under this program, the VA will pay the benefit for any Vet (or Widow of a Vet)if they otherwise qualify. To qualify medically, a War-Time Veteran or surviving spouse must need the assistance of another person to perform daily tasks, such as eating,dressing, undressing, taking care of the needs of nature, and they may not have assets exceeding $80,000 not including their home and an automobile.
Here is a link which explains how to apply:
Your mother will be eligible for $1,149.00 per month when she qualifies, and she may continue to live at home and receive this benefit. Here is another site which will provide you with additional information about this benefit:
2016 benefit table:
Two Vets Married
Dates of war per the VA for aid and attendance purposes:
- Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916 – April 5, 1917 for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or adjacent waters)
- World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)
- World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)
- Korean conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)
- Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975)
- Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation)
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.
I wish you and yours the best in 2016,