LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My cobra was terminated July 1, 2016 but wasn't notified of

Customer Question

My cobra was terminated July 1, 2016 but wasn't notified of this until mid August just a few days after I had a heart ablation. I also suffer from depression and due to that I didn't realized that I missed a payment in May. I made two payments in June and I thought I was paying for June and July. I requested reinstatement and was denied. I just received a bill for my surgery for $34,000+++. Again requested reinstatement and was denied again.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for 10 years which is the root of my issues - why I lost
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

Unfortunately, forgetting to make a payment to COBRA is not deemed a valid excuse and the COBRA was correctly terminated. It is terrible that you incurred a large medical bill after the effective termination of your policy but there is nothing you can do about it at this point in time.

You really only have a couple of options---neither of them appealing---you can either make arrangements to pay the medical bill or consider filing for bankruptcy to have the debt discharged. I am sorry.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug