Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have been researching wage discrimination laws. I am a

Customer Question

Hello,I have been researching wage discrimination laws. I am a Registered Veterinary Technician in California, and I was recently forced to resign because my employer refused to pay fair wages compared to other organizations, and compared to other employees, male and female.My daily jobresponsibilities require much more stress and exertion of effort compared to majority of my similar level coworkers, within the same work environment. I have a degree and licensed credentials I put forth towards my position. I have similar exceptional skill level compared to my coworkers, and more advanced skill level that only a licensed professional can perform, I am only one of two licensed RVTs in the practice. I suspect my former male counterparts were once paid more than I, even though I had more experience, higher level of skills, and higher level of education towards the position.This year I will bring home a $20,000 salary, after three years of working towards this medical health position, with education and licensing under my belt, and my boss refused a wage adjustment to 15/hour from my current 13/hour. They claim that I am not eligible for a raise because of work ethic inconsistencies, which I think was NOT a fair assessment of job performance due to excelling in job performance reviews and daily higher job responsibilities.My coworkers, which includes receptionist, and veterinary assistants, who are paid higher than I, have worked longer for this employer than I have, so merit understandable, but my skill level, education, and daily job tasks are in no way taken into consideration for a fair wage.The cost of living in my area, is $28,000 annually for one person. And my employers establishment is very successful and I suspect makes a 2.8 net profit, within the top 15% of veterinary practices in California.And now I understand that finding solid grounds for discrimination is unlikely, but is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The whole issue about wage discrimination and the Equal Pay Act is that the employer cannot pay an employee differently solely because of their race/sex and if they are paying employees unequally based only on one of those reasons, then it needs to be reported to the US Department of Labor because they take Equal Pay Act claims seriously. So if you have some evidence males in the same position are being paid more, then you need to file that complaint for them to investigate and they can get the employer payroll information to look into your claims to determine if they are paying women less than men in the same position.
Absent race/sex being the reason for pay differences, legally employment in the US is at will and as an at will employer they have a right to set wages for any reason at all aside for one of those unlawfully discriminatory reasons and if they are not using one of those reasons for pay, then legally it is not in violation of the law, although ethically they should be paying everyone the same based on experience and work they do, that is not the law.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.