Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am embarrassed. My brother died in January, 2016. We have

Customer Question

I am embarrassed. My brother died in January, 2016. We have a funeral bill for &.495. I have not given them a payment all year as I was taking care of elderly mother. They have been sending letters to my brothers girlfriend without my knowledge. I called funeral home on Oct 31 and they informed me that letters was sent out...which I did not see. Now they will not speak to me or call me back. I think it went to collections agency. I have $1,500. Should I send to them? They might send it back. Or wait until I get a letter in the mail. We do not have full amount. Can I work out a payment plan with the agency? Thank you.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania and I live in Virginia. It would not be considered real estate law would it? This is a funeral parlor bill.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I think so. Apparently, the last day was Oct 31. My brothers girlfriend texted me that day and I called them. All I had that day was $500. I've called several times and they say will call me back but they have not. ...nothing. I think papers were filed. Me, girlfriend and niece signed the papers, but they will not be able to help. I wish that I saw the notices.... I realized that the bill was owned...but was overwhelmed this year.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know should I send them money..or leave alone. Really don't want to make it worse.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Sorry bill is for $7,495.
Expert:  Ray replied 28 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 28 days ago.

Was probate for the brother filed, or did you sing anything guaranteeing payment yourself here, some more information please..

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
He had no insurance, so I signed papers to give him a funeral.
Expert:  Ray replied 28 days ago.

You are not liable for his debts unless you signed to be, otherwise only his state if there was probate are liable.If you signed a contract or guarantee only then can they send this to collections.

Expert:  Ray replied 28 days ago.

If you didn't sign and agree to pay yourself no need to pay these guys it is not your debt it would belong to the estate and if there are no assets it is noncollectable.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I did sign. Will wait to hear from collections, I suppose.
Expert:  Ray replied 28 days ago.

Yes and this is small amount here, if you can afford to do so, call them and see if you can do like $20 amonth, something you can afford,otherwise you wait and see if they turn this to collections.

Thanks again and the best, ***** ***** your loss of family member.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you for your help. Will wait...
Expert:  Ray replied 28 days ago.

You are so welcome.

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.