Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Just recieved a letter from a bank in panama that has money

Customer Question

just recieved a letter from a bank in panama that has money I inherited but is asking for 36 thousand to wire it to my bank in new jersey. is that too high?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: the bank is in panama city and I live in NJ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes i filled out a contract verification payment release form from wells meridian capital
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i never heard of such a high transfer fee from bank to bank
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 27 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Who are you receiving the inheritance from?

.

How much is the inheritance?

.

Is it someone that you consider a close family member?

.

How are they asking you to send them the money?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
they have not asked because after i got the notice the bank was already closed. i have to wait until they open at 9am tomorrow
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
they are giving me 72 hours to come up with the amount but i cant see why they dont deduct it from the 12 million im being wired.
Expert:  Barrister replied 27 days ago.

Ok, the reason that they don't deduct it is because this is a scam...period. This is a well known scam that lots of people are falling for because of the dream of that long lost uncle or aunt that they never met and no one knows who left them millions...

.

It doesn't happen in real life and these scammers are preying on peoples hopes and dreams..

.

If there was an inheritance, then any fees would be taken out of it before it was disbursed. An heir NEVER has to pay to get their inheritance...period. They are likely asking you to wire the money out of the country using an untraceable source like Western Union, Money Pak, or direct transfer. Once that money is out if the US, it is beyond the jurisdiction and is gone..

.

So luckily you came on the site before you sent them anything as we have to give dozens of people a week bad news that this is a well known scam and they have lost their money..

.

.

thanks