Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Is CBD oil in Wisconsin a controlled substance. My son who

Customer Question

Is CBD oil in Wisconsin a controlled substance. My son who is 16, was caught possessing it, using it and sharing it. It was CBD purchased on line that claimed it is legal in all 50 states. It has less than 1/3 of a percent of THC in it. He may be expelled by school rules.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We are dealing with the school district, he was suspended. It was sent to Juvenile court.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The school policy says that he can be expelled for illegal substance prohibited by law. My concern is that I was under the assumption that it was legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Whether it is legal in WI or not, when it comes to schools they have zero tolerance for any non-prescribed substances and can expel or suspend students for even aspirin.
However, CBD oil or Cannibidiol, was made legal by Governor Walker signing legislation back in April for persons 21 and older. But even if it is not a controlled substance, the school can legally ban it from campus and also if he is under 21 he still violated the law no different than alcohol is legal but you cannot possess it unless you are 21.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the quick response and clarifying a few things.
Thank you for your reply.