David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney
Experience:  JD with Distinction, Admitted to practice in California
19551178

Ifsomeone just discovered that they have in all matters left

Customer Question

ifsomeone just discovered that they have in all matters left the s off the name on their birth certificate, does this have any legal ramifications? We are talking 75 years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My question is written above.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing to add . Just the question sbove
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The mother and fathers name on the birth certificate is correct . Baby lady name spelled watt patents watts . The individual has signed his name as watts in all matters his whole life. Never noticed it . Was pointed out to him when he hd to use birth certificate for drivers license.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not getting a response
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

I was on line November 8, 2016 and responded to you at 3:13 PM I received a response from you November 9, 2016 at 1:44 PM. Unfortunately I am unable to be online 24/7

What do you mean what are the ramifications? This was a clerical error, correct? Can you tell me the State where the birtth certificate was issued?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Birth certificate issued in georgia.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I received no response until today nov 9 and I answered the questions . I will repeat. I do not know if this was a clerical error or the doctors error in writing the name. I do not think anyone could know that at this point. As for the question about what do I mean by the use of the word ramifications; ramifications means consequences of an action or event. The question ,put as simply as I can, is If this is the name on the birth certificate, does the fact that "Watts" instead of "Watt" has been used for 75 years as a legal signature cause any legal ramifications (consequences)?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please read the response I have given to lawyer 1 . Also please forward me the response he sent on nov 8 . I received no response except that he was the lawyer handling the question.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Read all above. Lawyer 1 2 3 whatever.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
State is Georgia
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 1 month ago.

There should be no ramification to this clerical error and there is a process to correct it. After 75 years I can think of no real way this could affect you.

I hope this helps.

DCG