Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am a property manager in Arizona. A tenant passed away

Customer Question

Hi, I am a property manager in Arizona. A tenant passed away last week owing several months rent. She was not living on the property (mobile home park, we rent the space only). She left a travel trailer with 3 dogs in it. She was staying with her boyfriend down the road. We spoke with him this morning. The boyfriend said he was still confused and trying to work out what he was going to do with the dogs and travel trailer.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us about this? Does she have actual family?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
though I do not know how to locate them. They were here yesterday afternoon and took the dogs. The travel trailer has been locked up.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My question is how to proceed. We need to get the property cleaned up to re rent and she owes back rent. The only item on the lot is the travel trailer.
Thank you for your reply.
You need to find a way to contact her family and if they were there yesterday you need to contact them or her boyfriend who can reach them. You need to inform them you need proof of heirship and that you are locking the trailer for 30 days after which time if you do not hear from them you will remove the trailer from your property as abandoned and have it towed. You also need to include the past due rent amount and inform them if it is not paid you will go to court to get ownership of the trailer and sell it for rent due. If they do not respond you need to file suit in court and ask the court for service by publication and then get the court to order you possession and you can sell the trailer and contents for back rent due