Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Iam paying rent for a store front. The owner called me

Customer Question

Iam paying rent for a store front. The owner called me several months after I contacted her asking to rent the tiny store front.Initially she said it's already rented the tenant hasn't done anything that's why it looks like no one is renting it. It was a perfect spot an reasonable. I paid 2 months security an first month. That was 4months ago an I have been paying on time ever since. I still had some work to do on my end an thinking the place was already rented I figured all I had to do was move in. Am I obligated to keep paying rent although the building has not been inspected by city codes? I have not moved anything in there or put a sign up as there is a glass broken out that's boarded up. I don't want to loose the space but I don't want to start a business only to be shut down or have my reputation tarnished. She said I signed the lease so I have to pay so I feel stuck.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you signed a lease, you are bound to that lease. However, if your lease said your landlord is liable for repairs or has not made it so that you can move in because of codes, they are in breach of that lease and you would have to sue the landlord to stop having to pay and seek to recover rent paid already for her being in breach of the lease. So, if she failed to make the property initially habitable to move in and your lease did not say it was your responsibility to do so, then you can terminate the lease but you will have to sue her for breach if she is insisting you keep paying and seek to recover your money through the courts.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.