Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I bought my car from auto 2015. one of their members of

Customer Question

I bought my car from KOON auto 2015. one of their members of management is giving his now girlfriend from my file they have. is this something I can sue the company for? i kow because i am dealing with her sons father and while they were talking she told him things about my sale that would only be in my personal file
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: VA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I know they can give out my phone number if i am trying to resell my car but she knows details about my sale.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ma'am. i have not filed anything with this because i just found out last night
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they disclosed confidential information from your files, such as your social security number, which is protected information under the law, then you can sue the dealer for breach of their duty of confidentiality and disclosure of your SSN or loan application information without a proper subpoena. However, disclosing terms of your purchase or information other than your SSN or loan information would not be protected by any law and if that is what is disclosed then you have no legal cause of action.
So, if they are disclosing your SSN or loan information without subpoena, then you can sue the company for damages.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to click on the 5 stars at the top of your page. Thank you.