Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am a part of a non-profit organization with its world

Customer Question

Hi...I am a part of a non-profit organization with its world headquarters in California. This group is divided in Districts across the World...USA..Europe..Caribbean...ASia. I live in the Bahamas but is a part of a district in South Florida. My concerns are that we do not receive financial assistance for the operation of our Division in the Bahamas and we are told that we cannot conduct an operation account funded by donations and fund raising as we fall under U.S. laws as it relates to non-profit. Due to the geography of the Bahamas it is very difficult to operate this Division without funds and our Florida District does not understand. Are we not governed by the Laws of the Bahamas as it relates to fund raising for non-profits....
JA: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: This organization has been around since 1924. It is Toastmasters. However like the Red Cross that is world wide every country with a branch is able to raise funds etc. based on the laws of that country even if contributions are sent to the World Headquarters. Operation funds should be allowed with an audit report done on a regular basis
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a separate charter as a separate group, then not only are you governed under the laws of where the non-profit is registered, CA, but you must comply with the laws of where your unit is physically located as well. So you have to comply with the laws in the Bahamas regarding fund raising and non-profit tax reporting, but as far as corporate governance, the CA non-profit and corporate laws and your bylaws apply to you.
So when you raise funds, you must comply with the laws of the Bahamas where you are raising those funds.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.