Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have reasons to believe my elderly father has been scammed

Customer Question

I have reasons to believe my elderly father has been scammed out of several hundred thousand dollars by another family member who claims to do business w nigerian oil.
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the fraud examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the fraud examiner can help you best.
Customer: 12 years ago my cousin borrowed a couple thousand from my father because he said he owned interests in an oil company that fixed rigs in Nigeria, and that he needed so much money from several investors to pay the clearances and taxes. he offered my father 2 million dollars within 2 months, and it has been almost 13 years. I think my dad is still giving him money, and is 82 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the fraud examiner should know?
Customer: My cousin spent 6 years (recently) in prison for fraud.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 26 days ago.

Good evening. I'm so sorry to hear this. How can I help?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Just inquiring what my options are here. I know this has caused my dad a ton of financial stress, as he has maxed credit cards and leveraged? His mortgage to do this. I think my cousin is forging bank documents to make my dad think it's all on the up n up. Do I just chalk it up to a devastating bad investment on dads part, or pursue some kind of elderly advocacy for fraud? What would my recourse be if my dad died? He has verbally told me there is a provision in his will staying the cousi would fork over the funds to us (children) if this all actually came to fruition after my fathers death, but I honestly don't see our cousin honoring that, as we have no relationship with him and he knows our feelings about this situation.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Don't have $ for the call, sorry.