Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My ex boyfriend owes me $6000. I have it in text messages

Customer Question

Hello, My ex boyfriend owes me $6000. I have it in text messages where he asks how much he owes me and that he plans on paying me back all of it. I gave him the amount. Will this hold up in court.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: I live in Alabama and he lives in Georgia.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no ma'am
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ma'am
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, text messages are valid proof of a debt owed. If he admits owing the money and has not made payments, you can file a lawsuit against him. It is best to subpoena the text messages from the cell phone company - the clerk of the court can give you a blank subpoena after you file your case.

Small claims court cases must be filed in the state where the person owing the money lives, so you'd be in Magistrate Court in Georgia. Most of these courts allow you to file by mail. Check the website for the county court where your ex lives to see if they have forms online and what process they want you to follow for filing/getting a subpoena.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.