Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My child (15) ran away from home last year to my mother's

Customer Question

My child (15) ran away from home last year to my mother's house. This caused a riff in my family because they believed that my child had been abused. When my child (now 16) tried to run away from my mother's house, my mother understood that my child had been lying. The child's behavior has gotten worse in the last year (for example refusing to go to school and opening a tattoo parlor in my mother's house without her knowledge). As a result, I had signed papers to put child in foster care because child didn't want to come to my home (because my rules are strict). Now the state is saying that I have NEGLECTED child.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: UTAH
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: It is in PRETRIAL now...and I have a list of allegations that is going to mediation on Nov 15
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Child asked if they could live with me a while ago...I said no because she lied about being abused and I was concerned that behavior hasn't changed//gotten worse
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 26 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties. However, I do not see a specific question.

What is your question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Can the state call my actions NEGLECT when my child RAN AWAY?

Thank you for the information. Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: No. Also, your child did the same thing to your mother. Neglect is when you fail to provide support for the child or to protect the child. Utah Administrative Code Rule 512-80 defines neglect as

" (21) "Neglect" is as defined in Section 78A-6-105. It includes but is not limited to abandonment, educational neglect, environmental neglect, failure to protect, failure to thrive, medical neglect, non-supervision, physical neglect, and sibling at risk." See Utah Code Section 78A-6-105.