Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My daughter left the marital home yesterday because her

Customer Question

My daughter left the marital home yesterday because her husband was being verbally abusive.
They have 4 children which are at the home.
Now he is threatening to take the children and leave the state.
We are in mississippi.
Can he be stopped.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your daughter would have to file a petition for divorce and for temporary custody of the children through the court in order to stop him from leaving with the children and removing them from the state. If she is serious about ending this verbally abusive relationship, then you need to get her to a lawyer this week and have the lawyer file the petition for divorce and for temporary custody of the children, which would contain a provision that the children must remain in the state until a final custody order is determined by the court. This is the only way to settle this and protect your daughter and the children if he is verbally abusive to them as well as her.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.