Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My mother needs a caregiver in the home but she refuses. she

Customer Question

my mother needs a caregiver in the home but she refuses. she can't make her own meals, etc and I'm unable to do so. Can I legal be responsible if something happens to her because she refused to have a caregiver come in or go to a nursing home
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: wv
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can I legal be responsible if something happens to her because she refused to have a caregiver come in or go to a nursing home

.

No, you have no legal duty to care for mother if you choose not to do so. But at this point, if she is unable to care for herself and manage her day to day affairs, you could file for a legal guardianship over her through the local probate court and become her legal guardian.

.

Then you would essentially be in complete control over her financial affairs and her personal care and could get her into assisted living or long term care if necessary.

.

.

thanks