Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I had 2 dui's in the early 90"s they make it a low felony

Customer Question

I had 2 dui's in the early 90"s they make it a low felony got 1 day in jail no plus fines 1 day in jail no probation suspended my Driver L FOR 6 MONTH that was over 20yrs yrs ago can I still own a gun
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: AZ I was charged with a felony dui with the second one the judge was going to possibly drop it to a misdemeanor but I had one 2 yrs prior
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm trying to get my records to see whats on there this is about all I can remember about it have not had any problems since this was late 80"s early 90"s
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's about it
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

A felony under the federal gun laws is any crime that could have possibly resulted in a sentence of more than one year.

The problem is that the statutes online don't tell what the potential sentence for a felony dui were back in the early 90s. What you need to do is to get a copy of the original indictment and judgment and the rest of the paperwork from your actual case to see what the potential sentence was then. If it was more than a year, then you are prohibited from owning a gun under federal law.