Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I'm trying to figure out who to talk to regarding an issue

Customer Question

I'm trying to figure out who to talk to regarding an issue I'm having with a cable company.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: AZ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no. Just arguing with the company so far
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: is a dispute regarding billing and services
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your issue? Who have you spoken to? Did you speak to a supervisor and work your way up through the supervisors?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A cable company for internet sends out an install technician when service was requested. That same technician is told where we want TV and internet. We pay our bill regularly, on time, and go about our business. We suspect we aren't getting full speed but our system is working so we decide notto push the issue.
2 years later there is a huge problem with our speed and it is impacting performance. I call to diagnose and the person tells me we don't have the right modem, so even though we pay for 300 mbps we've only been able to get 150 mbps. We go to swap it out and get the right one setup to be told there is a lot of noise on the line and they need to send out a service technician to resolve. They tell us we have extra splinters providing service to every room in our house (which we did NOT request) and that is causing the extra noise on our lines (no reason given as to why this was a sudden problem after 2 years of service. Technician fixes it and I request reimbursement for being over charged for 2 years, (approx value $12 a month, $312 total).
Next month bill comes and I have no reimbursement but I do have a $75 fee because the company has deemed the entire issue an internal wiring issue (AKA we are at fault). I try to reach out to the company to resolve. I'm told the issue was not caused by the company, it was a wiring problem in our home (which the company is the one that did the install) and that I don't pay their insurance so I have to pay for the repair.
This seems very illegal and that I'm being taken advantage of. Considering I've paid this company just over $6,000 since we started our business with them. I want legal advise on what I should do and how I can resolve this legally.
In order to have a case to pursue them for negligent installation, you would need to have the technician who came and fixed the issues testify that the previous installation was improper and negligent. If you do that, you can actually sue in small claims for this breach of contract (it is not something you would be able to hire an attorney on because the value of this case is so small it would fit into small claims court). So if their technician is saying that the installation was improper and it was done by their prior technician, then you make your written demand on them for reimbursement of the money you over paid and if they refuse to reimburse, your next step is to file suit in small claims court against them for the reimbursement and you need to subpoena the last technician to testify the prior installation was improper.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.