Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Yesterday I attended a local meeting. As I approached the

Customer Question

Yesterday I attended a local meeting. As I approached the door of the building, two young men were standing near the door. One asked me if I would like to have a "program"? I thanked him, entered the building, sat down and began eading the "program" only to discover it was opposition information against the meeting that I had willully chosen to attend. If he had asked me if I would like to have opposition information, I would not be upset. However, because I was told a lie to get it into my hands, I was very upset. Is that lawful?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Greene County Virginina
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was really angry when I realized I had been tricked.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

There's nothing illegal about handing out leaflets. Even if you don't personally subscribe to the content, in general this kind of activity is protected by the First Amendment.

Yes, you wouldn't have taken it because as it turns out you're on the other side of the issue. That doesn't make it illegal, however. You didn't sustain any actual damages, and while you can complain to whoever organized the town meeting, there's really nothing else you can do.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.