Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is it legal in the state of north Carolina for myself and my

Customer Question

is it legal in the state of north Carolina for myself and my life partner to be covered under AAA CLASSIC CARE ACCIDENT INSURANCE REWARDS PLAN. we were told it was illegal for Brenda and I to be living together in this state. we even had other types of insurance denied because we lived together but are not married. please advise. thanks, Bob.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

No matter how many years you and your partner have lived together in North Carolina, your state does not recognize common law marriages, and your arrangement can never be eligible for the benefits that a marriage confers unless/until you actually get legally married.

That means you have been informed correctly. You cannot have joint coverage under your policy. And if you're holding yourself out as a lawful husband and wife in order to get such coverage, you'd be committing a fraud and breaking the law.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.