Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

In Alabama if I divorce my spouse in order to place hihim in

Customer Question

In Alabama if I divorce my spouse in order to place hihim in a nursing home facility, which I was told that I would have to do in order to keep all of my Retirement and SSAD benefits, is there any type of time limit about how long i would have wait hefore placing him in the facility. I am trying to get my ducks in a row as I am physically unable to care for him anymore. What is my first step! We have NO assets. We're in Chapter 13, no savings and no equity in our home!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, sadly this is something that people are forced into doing more often lately. There is no time limit from the time the divorce is ordered as final and the time you place him in a facility. This is something that happens all too often, but there is no time limit you have to wait, as soon as the final decree is entered by the court is sufficient.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is a sad thing and it is unfortunate. Thank you so much for your help.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, it is sad and I wish you the best.